The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer, Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America’s Best Employers By State in 2021.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement for all positions at the University of Pennsylvania. New hires are expected to be fully vaccinated before beginning work at the University. For more information about Penn’s vaccine requirements and the use of Penn Open Pass, visit the https://coronavirus.upenn.edu/ for the latest information.
Job Description Summary
The Senior Contracts Manager in Wharton Executive Education (WEE) is responsible for the day-to-day contracting process for all new Wharton Executive Education Custom and group enrollment programs including online programs, in-person programs, LIVE programs and global programs amounting to $25M – $50M each year. The Senior Contract Manger also has responsibility for all renewal contracts typically totaling $25M+.
For both new and renewal contracts, the Senior Contracts Manager works in close collaboration with Business Development (BD), the Program Design and Management Directors (PDM), the Chief Operating Officer, Wharton Finance and Administration, the University’s Office of General Counsel (OGC), and clients to generate, negotiate, process, execute, and organize those contracts. The person in this role will use templates to create the first drafts of contracts, then work with inside counsel and the clients to get the contracts through to the execution stage.
The position demands specific policy knowledge and administration skills to ensure that contracts are written and structured with minimal risk to the University of Pennsylvania, Wharton and Executive Education while achieving the organization’s goal to grow revenue and improve quality through the design and delivery of executive education programs for global clients. The position requires a vigilant monitoring of contracts and tracking to ensure execution prior to program delivery.
The person in this role is also responsible for the contracting process with Wharton faculty for royalty agreements, ensuring that contracts are signed prior to program design.
The Senior Contracts Manager is a lead project manager and works closely with Wharton Finance and Administration (F&A) partners, on aged receivables. Utilizing organization, attention to detail, professionalism and tact, the person in this position works with F&A and the PDM to engage with clients as may be necessary to collect monies due to WEE for the design and delivery of customized programs across its lines of business.
- As the contract manager, responsible for the day-to-day contracting process for all Wharton Executive Education programs (including Online/Custom/LIVE/Open Enrollment Group enrollments). Works with BD and PDM teams on new and renewal contracts and acts to align commercial terms from those teams with legal terms from the Office of General Counsel (OGC) recommended contract templates and language. Ensures that contracts, NDA’s, MOU’s, MSA’s and SOW’s are all tracked and accurately record both the commercial terms agreed upon by our business teams as well as the legal language determined in working with OGC. Works with WEE acting signatory to execute all finalized documents in a timely fashion and stores them appropriately.
- Coordinates and collaborates with the Wharton Finance and Administration team to ensure the finance team has access to all contracts executed on behalf of the school so that they are able to invoice in a timely fashion. As needed, enable communication between F&A and the appropriate BD/PDM team members when follow-up with clients for non-payment is required.
- Ensure that Exec Ed understands and remains compliant with the financial and legal requirements from the school and university by remaining in close communication with the Wharton School’s Controller and the OGC representative assigned to work with WEE.
- Using DocuSign, Salesforce or other current systems, ensures that we are processing all contracts through a specified technology workflow that includes a review for commercial terms, legal terms and authorized signatory. Assists and facilitates in the design and updating of that technology as needed and as it relates to contracting or invoicing.
- Serves as back up to the Associate Director counterpart responsible for invoicing and payments for the OE WEE portfolio, which represents nearly 40% of WEE’s revenue.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
Certification or Associate’s degree in paralegal studies. Minimum experience of two years in a paralegal role. Experience in a law firm preferred. Bachelor’s degree preferred and 3-5 years’ overall experience or equivalent combination of education and experience. Relevant project management and administrative experience required. Experience managing large volumes of information and projects. Experience with payments and invoicing.
- Ability to work collaboratively as well as independently, handle varied work assignments, prioritize tasks, demonstrated strong written and verbal communication skills and customer service orientation.
- Strong attention to detail with an ability and comfort working in a fast-paced, results-oriented. environment.
- Able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously. Demonstrated organizational and prioritization skills, along with the ability to work within tight and often conflicting deadlines.
- Must be flexible, show effective judgement, discretion and have the ability to handle confidential financial matters.
- Work effectively in a highly matrixed and decentralized environment with the ability to navigate through ambiguity and demonstrate appreciation and support for diversity, inclusion and belonging in a constantly evolving academic/higher education environment.
- Ability to foresee, analyze and understand business trends and reporting.
- Excellent project management skills and results oriented.
- Excellent problem solving and innovative thinking to achieve organizational objectives.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) skills with high professional and tactful demeanor.
- Proven ability to work within a team environment and on project teams. A strong desire to contribute and work collaboratively to achieve goals.
- Understanding of basic accounting principles.
- Experience with Salesforce preferred.
This position is eligible for a hybrid work schedule with a work week divided between working onsite and working remotely.
$51,824.00 – $78,096.00
Salary offers are made based on the candidate’s qualifications, experience, skills, and education as they directly relate to the requirements of the position, as well as internal and market factors and grade profile.
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family’s health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn’s exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn’s Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family—whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you’re newly hired, you won’t have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That’s why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University’s libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There’s always something going on at Penn, whether it’s a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you’re right in the middle of the excitement—and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you’ll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay