Regular Full-Time, Market Range
The Haslam College of Business at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, invites applications for a full-time, exempt, Assistant Director – Business Development supporting the Graduate and Executive Education Programs.
The primary responsibility of this position is to design, implement and oversee delivery of business development processes for two MBA programs for working professionals offered through the Leadership and Strategy Division of the Graduate & Executive Education area of the Haslam College of Business. Program Directors rely heavily on the Assistant Director – Business Development to work in support of the programs to meet enrollment objectives and deliver desired margins to the college, keeping Program Directors informed and involved throughout the recruitment cycle.
In this role, the Assistant Director will work actively with internal and external university partners to launch and monitor the complex and inter-connected programs that support business development for future Executive MBA classes. The successful candidate for this position will have specific expertise in the graduate education needs of working professionals as well as digital marketing, sales, and more traditional methodologies of business development. The Assistant Director works on complex issues such as optimizing overall lead flow through outsourced program-specific business development efforts including digital marketing, enrollment advisor support, and general recruitment project management. The Assistant Director is responsible for the interpretation and application of lead source data and marketing metrics, as well as ensuring its appropriate use in allocating budgets for future business development efforts.
This role is a ‘high-touch’ position in which the Assistant Director will directly build strong relationships with candidates as they navigate the application and decision making process. Seamless transition for the candidate through the inquiry, exploration, application, interview and decision process is a key priority for the role.
- Works directly with directors to understand program strategy and be able to articulate value proposition for each across multiple channels
- Assist with planning and oversee implementation of recruitment, marketing and program branding strategies to attract high-quality student applicants
- Plan and manage recruitment media campaigns and newsletters
- Track, measure and report on campaign results
- Oversee ProMBA and EMBA-SL microsites and suggest improvements
- Identify the tactics and platforms that will be most effective in reaching a specified target audience
- Create and implement strategies for building a talent network/talent community through alumni and corporate partners
- Serve as brand ambassador at various events, like career fairs or on & off campus recruiting events
- Work closely with key stakeholders to develop creative ways for addressing recruitment challenges
- Suggest new ideas for improving student experience and engagement
- Research marketing and advertising trends in higher education
- Keep abreast of new trends in social media channels
- Engages with prospective students to explain and advise them about the admission process
- Reads and evaluates application, resume and academic credentials of applicants to make recommendations to program directors concerning admission and scholarship awards
- Plans and implements recruitment activities for targeted local and regional territories to position the two programs to generate applications
- Assists with the organization of on-campus event such as open houses, prospective student information programs, orientation programs, career days, conferences, and campus tours.
- Collaborates with colleagues in a professional manner to provide advice and feedback necessary to plan and develop on and off campus recruitment programs
- Represent the programs, division and college in a knowledgeable and professional manner when conducting essential tasks and duties
- Develops and maintain tools that build consistent engagement with prospective students, applicants and admitted students
- Other duties as assigned to support of recruiting, marketing and enrollment
- Data Analytics
- Gathers, compares, and analyzes lead source and other data to make recommendations for future operations and business development program efforts.
- Gathers, analyzes, and synthesizes data to create complex reports such as the weekly BD and lead source reporting.
- Conducts needs assessments and analysis of work effectiveness such as the CRM lead analysis.
- Monitors recruitment initiatives and develops accurate applicant and inquiry reports on a regular basis to determine recruitment program effectiveness.
- o Supports development and administers budget for business development efforts.
- o Directs the financial activities related to business development, with final approval by program director.
- o Submits proposals to secure funding.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Four (4) years of relevant experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Desired Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s Degree
- Six (6) years of relevant experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge of applicable marketing, sales, and business development processes.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the working professional, particularly as it relates to higher education needs.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills related to sales/business development (public speaking, writing, and one on one).
- Analytical skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with individuals and groups.
- Ability to successfully work as a member of a team.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to provide work direction to alumni volunteers and peer/support staff.
The Knoxville campus of the University of Tennessee is seeking candidates who have the ability to contribute in meaningful ways to the diversity and intercultural goals of the University. Screening of applicants will begin immediately and will continue until the position has been filled.
Interested individuals should provide a cover letter addressing professional experience relevant to each required minimum qualification, a resume, and complete contact information for 3 professional references.
For More Information and To Apply:
All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment and admissions without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status.
Eligibility and other terms and conditions of employment benefits at The University of Tennessee are governed by laws and regulations of the State of Tennessee, and this non-discrimination statement is intended to be consistent with those laws and regulations.
In accordance with the requirements of Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, The University of Tennessee affirmatively states that it does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, or disability in its education programs and activities, and this policy extends to employment by the University.
Inquiries and charges of violation of Title VI (race, color, national origin), Title IX (sex), Section 504 (disability), ADA (disability), Age Discrimination in Employment Act (age), sexual orientation, or veteran status should be directed to the Office of Equity and Diversity (OED), 1840 Melrose Avenue, Knoxville, TN 37996-3560, telephone (865)974-2498 (V/TTY available) or 974-2440. Requests for accommodation of a disability should be directed to the ADA Coordinator at the Office of Equity and Diversity.