The Darden School Foundation, the 501(c)3 organization that supports the Business School, seeks a Managing Director of Business Development, Executive Education and Lifelong Learning and Sands Institute, on its Client Solutions Team. The Managing Director will lead growth in the portfolio of customized executive education clients across corporations and professional associations.
The Managing Director will partner with Executive Education colleagues and faculty to cultivate new client relationships and lead successful proposal processes (the primary objective) to sustain existing client relationships as needed (a secondary objective) Through these efforts, the Managing Director will drive new client development, expanding Darden’s reach and relationships globally with leading corporations and Associations to increase relevance and engagement for the Executive Education enterprise and the Sands Institute.
This position is critical to the Darden’s mission and the Sands Institute for Lifelong Learning, an institute formed by the University of Virginia Board of Visitors in 2020. The Sands Institute aims to establish Darden at the forefront of innovation in pedagogy and delivery of transformational lifelong learning experiences for working professionals and executives worldwide.
The Client Services Team (CST), of which the Managing Director is a key member, is currently responsible for ~80% of Darden Executive Education and Lifelong Learning top line and aspires to $2M+ top line growth per year over the next 5 years. The CST serves as a growth engine for Executive Education and Lifelong Learning and is highly entrepreneurial.
The position requires a seasoned and proactive client and business development/sales leader. If not directly experienced in executive education or corporate learning and development, or emergent adult/professional education platforms, the successful candidate will have senior sales/client development experiences at a top academic institution, a professional services firm or ‘solution sales’ in a corporate environment.
With operations in both Charlottesville, Rosslyn (greater DC Metro), VA, and elsewhere, this role may be configurable to allow for the position holder to reside in the Charlottesville, VA area, in the greater DC area or elsewhere, and may also be configured as a hybrid role, with a mix of on-location and work from home.
Primary duties and responsibilities include:
The Managing Director is expected to execute independently all of the below-listed duties and responsibilities, or to oversee those activities as appropriate, with a consistently high level of effectiveness and impact.
- New Client Development
- Identify and select strategic target accounts, establish criteria for selection and proposal of client projects, and orchestrate efforts across the CST to reach new accounts in support of annual growth goals for custom across EELL.
- Consult on ongoing basis with potential clients on their talent and leadership development challenges to understand prospect and client needs and articulate possible custom or executive level open enrollment solutions.
- Originate and/or develop proposals from networks and/or in response to inquiries and formal requests for proposals (RFPs).
- Maintain current information on leads, contacts, and proposals, utilizing the CRM system.
- Support continuous improvement of our account planning and business development processes, reporting and tracking, and account management approaches.
- Collaborate with Faculty and executive education colleagues to coordinate custom account start-up activity and to ensure client needs are met for program design and delivery.
- Deliver on agreed-to annual new client development targets and productivity levels.
- Market and Relationship Development
- Continuously grow a network and set of consultative relationships with C-suite and Learning and Development executives that serve as a foundation for growing client opportunities for EE and the Darden School of Business.
- Develop and nurture relationships with Darden School faculty, alumni and administrative leaders, and actively position faculty expertise and thought leadership within the context of market and client needs.
- Cultivate and establish partnerships within the University of Virginia, in support of business development activities and bringing the ‘whole of the University to bear’ in delivering best-in-class solutions.
- Coordinate with other parts of the Darden School, such as the Board of Trustees, Darden’s Leadership Advisory Boards and alumni engagement team, to support outreach to executives and companies to broaden the top of our corporate client funnel.
- Stay current and familiar with global business issues/trends and capability building/leadership development challenges.
- Engage in key business development events and conferences within Executive Education, representing Darden and building awareness and credibility for our solutions.
- Collaborate with Darden’s communication and marketing organization to support effort to build Darden’s awareness and reputation in the corporate/Association segment, including supporting/leading Darden sponsored events for the L&D community to build Darden and Sands Institute reputation.
In addition to the duties and responsibilities above, the Managing Director will provide senior support to colleagues with primary ownership over the ongoing current client portfolio to help retain and grow revenue from existing clients and support activities to expand client relationships through follow-up and value-added inquiries and information sharing relevant to the client.
Successful candidate will have a proven track record that includes:
- Proven ability to develop productive long-term client relationships and experience driving increased revenue and profit to achieve organizational financial goals
- Track record in management and leadership positions that required strategic planning, communication, revenue generation, pipeline and sales management, brand deployment, and fiscal responsibility
- Seasoned professional with 10+ years of experience and familiarity with global business issues/trends and capability building/leadership development challenges
- Experience selling HR, learning and development, and/or talent management services at the B2C and/or B2B level
- Clear record of academic and professional excellence and achievement at respected institutions
- Ability to engage at a strategic level and to be viewed as a peer by client and colleague leaders
- Ability to influence client thinking and action and to orchestrate the efforts of internal colleagues and deployment of resource to achieve profitable growth
- Ability to future-think and envision design, implement and operationalize creative program design elements to ensure Darden’s reputation as an executive education provider of excellence
- Drive for excellence and growth, with willingness to ‘roll up his/her sleeves’ to get the work done
- A global mindset and ability to develop relationships with culturally diverse organizations
- A bias for action and ability to manage to deadlines and budgets
- Excellent communication skills with all levels of management, faculty and business community
- Fluency with trends in business/management thinking, and executive development
- Ability to work collaboratively with clients, across the school and the University
- Strong orientation towards client satisfaction and results
- Integrity, personal values, and a belief in Darden’s mission
- Commitment to continued personal growth; self-motivated
- Excited and driven by growth and entrepreneurial environment
- Bachelor’s degree from a high quality, accredited institution; an MBA or other advanced degree preferred
Please attach a cover letter and résumé when applying for this position.
For More Information and To Apply:
The Darden School Foundation is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, sex (including sexual orientation and gender identity or expression), national or ethnic origin, race, religion, pregnancy, veteran status, or genetic information. We participate in E-verify.
About Darden, the Darden School Foundation and Charlottesville, VA:
UVA’s Darden Graduate School of Business delivers Degree Programs and Executive Education in its Charlottesville and Washington D.C. locations, as well as at client sites around the world. The Darden School Foundation is an independent, nonprofit, tax-exempt corporation established in 1952 with the mission of supporting and advancing the Darden School in its academic mission. The Darden School Foundation provides this support through promoting philanthropic support, managing endowment funds and other assets for the School’s exclusive benefit, running Darden’s top ranked Executive Education and Lifelong Learning programs, and operating the Inn at Darden, Darden Sands Family Grounds in Rosslyn, and Abbott Center in Charlottesville. An elected Board of Trustees oversees the Foundation’s strategy and provides a critical link between the Foundation, School, and business communities.
The Darden School has been ranked the number one MBA education experience in the world by The Economist magazine for eight consecutive years, number one for campus environment and faculty by Princeton Review, and number one for alumni satisfaction with their MBA education by Forbes.