Duke University was created in 1924 through an indenture of trust by James Buchanan Duke. Today, Duke is regarded as one of America’s leading research universities. Located in Durham, North Carolina, Duke is positioned in the heart of the Research Triangle, which is ranked annually as one of the best places in the country to work and live. Duke has more than 15,000 students who study and conduct research in its 10 undergraduate, graduate and professional schools. With about 40,000 employees, Duke is the third largest private employer in North Carolina, and it now has international programs in more than 150 countries.
Assistant Dean of Executive Education
Fuqua School of Business, Duke University
Duke University’s Fuqua School of Business attracts and develops those who have the power to move teams forward toward a common purpose. Our community is comprised of students, staff, and faculty that join together to inform a leadership style that inspires organizations to do better while doing what is best. Fuqua is seeking an Assistant Dean of Executive Programs to join this community and lead its Executive Education team.
The Assistant Dean of Executive Programs will be responsible for leading the growth and delivery of Fuqua’s extensive portfolio of non-degree programs which includes both open enrollment and tailored programs. Job duties include the following: (1) developing and implementing a strategic plan for Executive Education, (2) leading business decisions to drive growth, (3) overseeing a cutting-edge portfolio of programs, (4) managing staff to ensure appropriate development and effective program delivery, and (5) administering financial operations.
- Develop and implement a strategic plan for Executive Education open enrollment and tailored programs that aligns with Fuqua’s mission and purpose.
- Develop substantive analysis of Executive Education’s performance within its industry to set parameters for value and growth of its portfolio of programs.
- Clearly articulate long-term goals, yearly objectives, and a definitive action plan to Fuqua’s leadership team and the Executive Education team.
- Maintain and cultivate internal and external business relationships with the aim of growing and developing program offerings.
- Work with business development administrators to manage and cultivate business relationships that increase registrants in open enrollment programs and secure new deliveries for tailored programs.
- Work closely with the marketing team to develop and execute marketing plans that generate interest in and awareness of program offerings (e.g., website content, marketing campaigns, general advertisement).
- Utilize CRM processes, data, and reporting tools to refine business development and marketing strategies.
- Deliver pitches and create proposals that generate new business and that leverage existing client needs.
- Develop and maintain relationships with associates from DukeCE and other departmental units across Duke University to evaluate possibilities for joint approaches to custom inquiries.
- Cultivate relationships with a broad network of Fuqua faculty, Duke faculty, and external instructors to understand teaching and research interests as they relate to executive education market demand.
- Consult with faculty and instructors about the creation of learning experiences and materials that encompass program content.
- Attend program deliveries as appropriate to ensure familiarity with participants and program content.
- Participate in after program action reviews with faculty, instructors and staff to improve and refine program delivery.
- Manage a staff inclusive of business development professionals, program managers and client relations specialists.
- Develop clear targets and performance goals for staff members.
- Help staff members develop in depth knowledge of the program portfolio content and a business development paradigm.
- Help the staff to capture market intelligence to inform the continued evolution of the program portfolio and marketing and business development strategy.
- Supervise staff outreach to clients and faculty to ensure that program delivery and coordination is efficient, effective, and timely.
- Conduct annual staff performance reviews.
Finances and Contracts
- Manage the quarterly and annual forecasting and budgeting process.
- Oversee operating budgets and profitability statements for each program delivery.
- Review contracts with the JBDuke hotel, clients, faculty, and instructors.
Graduate degree in business or a related subject matter.
- At least ten years of business development, sales and/or client management experience in a higher education environment OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE.
- Experience in/familiarity with Executive Education in a business school or similar setting.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual’s age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.